Monday, April 20, 2015

Are You Googlized?

If you asked ten random people walking down the street if they knew what Google is, I am sure the answer would be “Yes”, along with some confusion as to why you would ask the question, because let’s face it, everyone knows Google. Most of us take part in Google multiple times a day. This can include the search engine, YouTube, Google Docs, Google Hangouts, or even Blogger. Is that a problem?

How difficult would it be to go throughout your day without using a product of Google? Personally, it would take a conscious effort, and I would have to go out of my way to not use it. This frustrates me for a few reasons.

            1- It would be unnecessary effort to not use Google, when it’s readily there.
            2- I do not like the fact I am so dependent on one franchise.
            3- It creeps me out a little bit that without Google, I would feel a little lost on the internet.


While Google makes me uneasy when I really think about the control and power it holds in our lives, it’s unlikely I’ll stop using it. Why? Because I am used to it, and I, along with many other human beings, am a creature of habit. Until Google seriously takes advantage of me to the point I can recognize it, I will continue to be blissfully Googlized. How about you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment