Monday, June 8, 2015

#Selfie

It is very relevant that the "selfie" has made its way into mainstream culture, and there is no sign that it is going to disappear. Is this a good thing?

There are definitely those who support the selfie; they say that it is a great form of self expression and boosts self-esteem. However on the flip side of things, others say that it can actually degrade one's self-esteem. You can see two teens' opinions on the matter here.

How can a picture someone posts of themselves, because they think it looks good, lower their self-esteem? It has a lot to do with likes. If the person doesn't get "enough likes" they start to think, "What's wrong with me?"

As the video below points out, taking so many pictures of yourself can make you more prone to picking out the little things you don't like about yourself.


Others think the largest problem with the selfie culture is that it is making people more narcissistic. This article from The Guardian says it all.

In my opinion, taking a selfie now and then isn't a bad thing, but there are cases when I think it is out of control. In some of those cases I think I am the one who is out of control. There have been times my friends and I take way too much time taking pictures of ourselves and editing them. Why do we feel the need to do it?

For me, I do it to boost my confidence, but in reality it doesn't do much boosting. What do you think? Is the selfie culture really worth it?



1 comment:

  1. This is something I've thought about before and still have mixed feelings about it. I rarely ever post selfies. I'm much more someone who posts pictures of things around them and events or pictures with others than just myself. However, I still support those who post selfies. Like you touched on though, sometimes it could get out of hand. Sometimes posting too much can really irritate people and make it seem like the one posting is only doing it for the attention/likes. I think they are definitely ok, but sometimes it could get out of hand. They shouldn't be someone's main source of confidence.

    ReplyDelete