Friday, May 22, 2015

Social Activism vs Social Opinion

I am not one to post about my political views on social media. That is something I like to keep to myself. However, I have friends who tactfully share their point of view, and other Facebook “friends” who do the same not so tactfully.

While I think it is fantastic for people in the college age range to be able to get their voice out there and be active in movements and the political conversation of their choice, I also think it is important one is informed about what they are talking about.


This picture explains my and many others’ frustration . . . 


For example, I think there is such thing as an invalid opinion. To me, that means that someone is making a point just because; they have not back up for their words and no concrete reason behind their belief. In such cases, I think it is more appropriate for people to keep their thoughts to themselves, but continue to look at other’s valid opinions and comment and/or share their posts.

As this article points out, in reality, social activism online seems to be an illusion when it comes to numbers. Meaning online activism isn’t having as much as an effect on social issues as it may seem.

This is to say that all these opinions, whether valid or not, are still just opinions, and don’t make much of a difference. I think that while that may be the case now, that eventually those opinions will turn into actions. What do you think?



1 comment:

  1. I agree. With the amount of debate media topics have witnessed, it's only inevitable one of these opinions will take off. With regards to your points about false numbers, that explains where I stand; that, yes, eventually someone will be influential enough to provoke change, however, it won't be easy, for in reality, not many have yet prevailed.

    ReplyDelete